Monday, March 14, 2011

An Obsession

I wanted to let you all into a previous phase in my creating and art work. For several years I was obsessed with making what I called my Rollies. I would take old magazine pages and create paper beads. Hundreds and thousands of them and then attach them to canvases. Mostly creating abstract color fields.

After the series of color fields I began trying to create images or forms in the design of the rollies. I was completely obsessed and could not create or make anything at the time I was making my rollies. I loved the repetitive nature of creating the beads. I could still watch tv and movies and continue creating all the while. I would stay up way too late and wake early with the nagging feeling that I had to get back to work. I lived and breathed my rollies for almost 2 complete years. During this time I had a two person show at a here in Santa Fe and entered pieces into 2 juried art shows.

I could never imagine my life without my rollies. I just figured my obsessive compulsive rollies would always be a part of my life. But unfortunately, as life loves to do, things changed. To date, I haven't touched my rollies in almost 1 1/2 years. Not a one. I went from making 45 pieces in a year to two pieces one year then one piece the next and now nothing. I do miss creating them, they were such a calming thing for me, a meditation. I have several hanging on my walls in my apartment and look at them every day wondering if I will pick it back up again. I hope to, no, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails